Our door canopies are solid and durable and require very little maintenance. As they age, you won’t have to paint them either. In fact, to keep any Unicorn Windows door canopy looking its best, they simply require a good clean now and again. Getting into the habit of cleaning your canopy throughout the year will keep it looking great and ensure it stays in excellent condition. In our guide to taking care of your door canopy, we will look at how you should prepare your canopy for cleaning and the easiest ways to get the job done. In addition, we’ll try to spot things to look out for when cleaning the canopy:
Things to check before the cleaning starts
While it’s tempting to get straight to the cleaning, there are some steps you should take beforehand:
- Remove any objects and hazards away from the canopy before starting.
- If there are any electrics present, including sockets and lights, make sure they have been isolated and covered to avoid them getting wet.
- Wear appropriate PPE and clothing
- Use a step ladder or ladder that is in good working order.
- Never stand or walk on the canopy roof sheets.
How to clean the canopy
The great news is you do not need to invest in any specialist cleaning products to keep your door canopy looking in tip-top condition. Instead, you can use domestic cleaning products which are suitable for many applications, a bristle brush and some white spirit.
To clean your canopy, follow these steps:
- Use warm water and a regular cleaning detergent using a sponge and soapy water. You do not need any special cleaning products to clean a door canopy.
- Remove stubborn stains with a bristle brush.
- For really stubborn marks, including leaf mould and other stains, you may need to use a pressure washer with a brush attachment to remove the marks.
- Clean any grease or tar marks by using white spirit after washing.
- Once you’ve finished, leave to dry naturally.
After you have given the canopy a good clean, you’ll want it to stay looking fantastic. We recommend cleaning your canopy periodically throughout the year to ensure it stays in top condition. Following the steps below will make sure it stays in good condition:
- Visually checking the canopy is in good condition and secure.
- Clean the canopy and surrounding guttering of any leaves and debris that has built up since the last check.
- Inspect the gutters, including the gutter clips, to make sure they remain in good order.
- Ensure your drainage system, including the pipes and ground-level drains, are clear, and the water that runs off the canopy can drain as it should.
We are sure you want to keep your canopy looking as good as the day it was first installed. By following the above steps, you can ensure your Unicorn Windows canopy looks fantastic for many years to come! In addition, door canopies provide an excellent shelter and, when kept in good order, can provide additional protection to the exterior of your home.