When it comes to moving home and selling your property, there’s an array of documents that you’ll need to present to estate agents and solicitors. One of which is incredibly important and this is your FENSA certificate. Without this, you may not be able to sell your property. (The acronym FENSA stands for Fenestration Self-Assessment Scheme.)
FENSA is the industry standard for replacement window and door installers self-certifying compliance with the building regulations. If since April 2002, you have had replacement windows or doors installed in your home by a FENSA registered company, they should have sent you your FENSA certificate.
At Unicorn Windows Ltd, we are FENSA registered and there are definitely a number of key benefits to this.
- You do not have to register your window or door installation with the local authority yourself – the installation company will take care of that for you.
- Compliance with The Building Regulations is guaranteed, without the added cost and time of arranging assessment by Building Control.
- All FENSA registered companies are continually re-assessed by an independent inspection body to ensure consistency of Building Regulations adherence and service.
- FENSA proactively protects consumers from companies who aren’t who or what they say they are – ‘cowboys’ as we like to call them in the industry!
- FENSA registered businesses must offer some form of deposit indemnity and an Insurance Backed Guarantee/Warranty.
- FENSA Building Regulations Certificate will be sent directly to you to demonstrate compliance. This is particularly important for if and when you want to sell your property.
And of course, as it’s easy for documents to get mislaid, don’t panic if you can’t find yours! FENSA keep a record of all registered installations and all you need to do is enter your postcode on the FENSA website and you can get a replacement sent.
So if you are considering fitting new doors or windows, make 100% sure that you go with a FENSA registered company. (It will advise on the website if they are.) Not only will you be safe in the knowledge that they adhere to the Building Regulations standards but it will also make the moving process a great deal smoother!
(Featured image by Unicorn Windows)Tags: FENSA, FENSA registered installation